Pro/E Tips Library
Next Tip >>>
Pro/Engineer January 2006 Tip-of-the-Month
Sketcher Control with Sketcher Preferences
There are several controls in the Sketcher Preferences dialog box that control the way Sketcher acts. (Top menu Utilities > Sketcher Preferences)
Some of the key things to check out are:
In general, Sketcher Preferences effect the behaviors and initial characteristics of the items created while being sketched. This is not absolutely true, however.
Some things, like number of digits can change for a given sketch if it is redefined after preferences are modified. This may be a bug, but an example is a sketch with 3 decimal places
changed to 1 decimal place which messed up the model. Just be consistent and you will not have trouble.
- On the Display tab:
- Turn ON or OFF the sketcher grid.
- Turn ON or OFF several of the things you see on the sketcher screen.
- Snap to Grid for quick sketching (can be very useful in some situations.
- Start in Sketch View -- determines if Pro/E rotates the model to the sketch view each time sketcher is started.
Note: The Default button puts everything back to the way it is defined in your config.pro.
Each of these entries can be set to persist using config.pro options.
|Figure 1. Sketcher Preferences|
- On the Constraints tab:
- Turn ON or OFF each constraint type. By turning them OFF, Pro/E will not make those assumptions while you sketch.
However, you can still create the constraint manually using the Constraints dialog box.
Note: You can turn OFF or lock ON individual constraints while sketching using the technique shown in our
November 2001 Tip-of-the-Month.
- On the Parameters tab:
- Choose the style of sketcher grid (Cartesian or Polar).
- Place the Origin of the sketcher grid.
- Change the grid spacing an control the spacing independently or symmetrically. Use the "&" symbol to force the X and Y spacing to be the same.
- Change the number of digits shown for sketcher dimensions.
- Adjust sketcher accuracy.
Note: Sketcher accuracy can be a very helpful tool if you are having trouble with a sketch bouncing around as you sketch, or if you have very large and very small entities.
- Most preference changes will persist for the current Pro/E session, some will not (like grid changes).
|Figure 2. Polar Grid|
- Some preferences become associated with the particular sketch (like accuracy).
- Most preferences can be overridden for individual cases using other functionality (like constraints).
- Some items may change behavior based on other areas of Pro/E (like number of decimals for an individual dimension).
- I have not checked them all, so consult Pro/E Help for an explanation of behavior.
Most of the Sketcher Preferences can be set to persist using config.pro options. See Pro/E Help or the Support section of
www.ptc.com for a list of config.pro options and a description of what they do.
We hope this is a Very Happy New Year for You!!
- This Pro/E Tip-of-the-Month is a service of Synthesis Engineering . . .
- . . . a Product Development and Engineering Design resources company . . .
- . . . Please Contact Us for great Engineering and Development services!
|Got a Great Tip? Submit it!|